Liberal Democrats at County Hall have published a list of New Year Resolutions for the Conservative Administration to adopt.
Hertfordshire County Council Lib Dem Leader Chris White said, “We all saw the dreary self-serving broadcast to the county by the Tory leader. This is our response: get real and get listening.”
Herts County Council should resolve:
- to target management overheads and leave front-line services intact when dealing with the budget settlement
- to stop being so complacent: no-one really believes the county council is wonderful – certainly not Ofsted
- to get in some accountancy help so that you can publish the council’s accounts on time: no point in being a laughing stock in 2011 as well as 2010
- to dismantle the council’s propaganda department: it can’t take twelve staff to bore the county’s press to death, surely?
- to sort out the legal department so it serves the people of Hertfordshire rather than being used as an instrument to bully residents who step out of line
- to get its act together over school places: we have waited long enough for the mistakes of the past to be corrected – but all the while children’s education is suffering
Chris concluded, “It’s a modest list. Is the Leader of the Council modest enough to take it on?”